A MUFA is a mono-unsaturated fatty acid, which has been found to be very beneficial to your health. There are five categories of MUFA’s:
- Dark Chocolate
- Nuts and Seeds
What do MUFA’s do?
- MUFA’s Protect your heart and decrease the risk of Metabolic Syndrome. Studies show that by decreasing carbs and increasing MUFA’s, blood triglyceride levels and HDL cholesterol levels can be reduced, while protecting the levels of HDL cholesterol. A MUFA diet can lower fasting blood sugar levels.
- MUFA’s Reduce Inflammation:Studies show that a MUFA diet significantly reduces blood concentrations of inflammatory markers and decreased insulin resistance.
- MUFA’s Lower the Risk of Breast Cancer: A study done in Sweden showed a 45 percent reduction in the risk of developing breast cancer for each 10 gram increment of MUFA’s consumed daily.
- MUFA’s Keep your Brain Healthy and Extend Your Life.
- MUFA’s Target Belly Fat! A 2007 study found that a MUFA diet prevented central body fat distribution, compared with a high-carbohydrate and high-saturated fat diet of the same calorie level.
Nutritional Facts about Avocados
- Avocados contain 81 micrograms of the carotenoid lutein, which some studies suggest may help maintain healthy eyes.
- Avocados contribute nearly 20 vitamins, minerals and beneficial plant compounds that can contribute to the nutrient quality of your diet.
- Avocados, due to their mono and polyunsaturated fat content, are a healthy substitution for foods rich in saturated fat.
- Avocados contain 76 milligrams beta-sitosterol in a 3-oz serving of avocado. Beta-sitosterol is a natural plant sterol which may help maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
- One-fifth of a medium avocado (1 oz) has 50 calories and contributes nearly 20 vitamins and minerals making it a good nutrient choice.
- Avocados can be a satisfying addition to a calorie-reduced diet, when they are eaten in lieu of other fats.
Avocado( two thin slices) 50
Butter( 2 Tbsp.) 204
Sour Cream(2 Tbsp.) 60
Cheddar Cheese( 2 Tbsp.) 114
Mayonaise ( 2 Tbsp.) 109
Total Fat (g)Saturated Fat Cholesterol(mg) Sodium
Avocado 4.5 .5 0 0
Butter 23 14.6 61 164
Sour Cream 6 3.7 13 15
Ched. Cheese 9.4 6 30 176
Mayonaise 9.4 1.4 7 199